Saturday, November 15, 2008

Importing/Exporting Author Ratings

Aaron wrote:

I read CR on multiple computers. Is there a way to export/import my author settings from one browser to another?

I knew this would come up, but haven't wanted to invest the time in writing the code to make it pretty. It would be best to make them roamable, but to do so simply would require a server, and of course tinfoil starts buzzing the scalp when that word is mentioned.

In the meantime, here's the way to do it:

Enter the text 'about:config' in your Firefox url bar. This will take you to a page that looks like this:

Press the "I'll be careful, I promise" button. Then, in the text box that shows like this:



enter in 'crc'. The window should then look like this:


Right click on the preference 'extensions.crcompanion.authorRatings', and select 'Copy Value'. Then paste that text into a file, email, etc. You've now exported your ratings.

To import, do exactly the same process on the destination computer, but instead of saying 'Copy Value', say 'Modify', and paste the text you somehow got to this computer into the textbox that pops up. Press OK.

That's it. You will need to reopen any comment windows you had open to get the new authors.

9 comments:

nullpointer said...

hey ken-

could you shoot me an email?

i got some stuff i would like to talk to you about.

thanks man.

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Thanks a lot. I'll give this a shot later. No need to code up anything elaborate. This workaround should be fine.

Ken Cooper said...

nullpointer: sure, but I don't have an email address for you.

BTW, if I'm slow in responding to these comments, don't anyone take it personally. I'm new to the posting side. How does CR DO it?!?

nullpointer said...

CR is a machine, not a man dammit...how else do you get posts at 2:00 am about the Baltic Dry Index?

i thought you could see my email address behind my "handle"?

yates_thomas@yahoo.com

take your time, its nothing important...just some chit chat you would probably find interesting

JP said...

I can haz mute button for loud (but classy) pig?

Or maybe just a volume setting.

Anonymous said...

Do you think your app will work on foxfire 2.0? I'm running an older OS and can't upgrade to 3.0. Should I try to install?

Ken Cooper said...

anonymous: I made use of APIs that are only in Firefox 3. Some of this stuff would have been unpleasant to implement in FF 2. Sorry.

Ken Cooper said...

jp: Good suggestion. I'll look into that.

Anonymous said...

ken - any way to get your ratings color coded in the thread. It's hard to see how Ive rated people when reading through the thread, which I still like to do.